Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A trip through the countryside of Spain-- Merida, Caceres, and Trujillo



So, it's been a while. So many stories and so little time!

I absolutely loved every moment of the overnight excursion our program made October 26th-27th. Since it was mandatory, all the students went, which made for a very fun trip. Moreover, I was so glad it was obligatory 1. Because everything was included (woot!) and 2. While these were beautiful and historic sites, I never would have know to visit them myself. Our first stop was Merida, about 3 hours by bus, a beautiful little city with tons of Roman ruins. Most importantly, the theater and amphitheater. A little rain couldn't stop us...

Yours truly.

What amazes me most is the condition of the ruins-- so incredible that they are so well preserved.

Really now, have you ever seen a bluer sky? I think not. This masterpiece is something that we just stumbled upon, not even a major landmark. Crazy, huh? 

Next up, Caceres. We got a little bit held up by an unexpected procession, as shown below...

The "Virgens" which are carried through the processions are very typical of Spain and used in almost every (religious) celebration. Sevilla is known for having of the most extravagant Virgens in all of Spain, used during la Semana Santa (the week before Easter). 

Caceres is known for its Medieval buildings. Walked by some pretty neat castles, although it was hard to remember the significance of each... 

After a huge group meal at the hotel where we stayed, we all went out together for the night. It was fun to meet Spaniards and practice Spanish outside of Sevilla.

The next morning, we left for our final destination of the trip, Trujillo. Trujillo is most well known for being the birthplace of Francisco Pizarro, the conquistador of Peru. We visited his house and museum. Trujillo was by far my favorite of the three for the castle and the beautiful view of the countryside.




*       *       *
What a great trip! What else have I been up to...?

I've been taking classes, and I can't complain about them. I only have one more dance class left. Spanish is getting easier every day, which is encouraging and empowering. I can't believe it's already November-- I am realizing that my time left in Sevilla and Europe is limited. I am happy to know that I will be home for Christmas with my family, the best one out there. 

The center threw a Halloween party for us on the 29th. While I didn't have a costume, Corey's host family had Toy Story masks that we used...

You've got a friend in me!
It's weird to not even remember an American holiday while I'm here. I'll definitely miss Thanksgiving a lot! Luckily, the center is having a Thanksgiving meal for us.

The kids that I tutor can be a little hard to handle, but I think that I am learning how to teach them effectively. After not babysitting for so long/ working around the elderly for so long, I've forgotten how much work little kids can be. What makes it worth it is seeing that the kids are actually becoming more confident with speaking to me in English.

Finally, my internship at the Hospital de la Caridad has been a great learning experience. I feel that this job has been the most helpful for me in terms of immersion in the Spanish language-- nobody speaks English to me, except a patient every once in a while who wants to practice English. I am learning not only Spanish medical vocabulary, but the causes and effects of diseases, as well, which I am thoroughly enjoying. While sometimes it can be exhausting to listen and not understand for thirty minutes at a time, I know that I am improving slowly-- "poco a poco" as we say in Spanish. I know that seeing a completely different healthcare system can only help me to improve the way I choose to practice myself and realize ways to improve the American system. I am also excited to potentially have the opportunity to treat patients who may not speak English.

Well folks, that all for now. Stay tuned for my post about Fall Break in Italy-- until then, Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment