Sunday, December 8, 2013

It's Christmastime in the city...

I have this really weird feeling right now. While the city is lighting up for the holiday season, the warm temperature and me being in Spain is throwing me off-- I can't seem to find myself in the holiday mindset. Rather, it just doesn't feel like Christmas to me yet.

Regardless, the city is absolutely beautiful. The streets in the center of Sevilla are completely lit up. I love the purple... I didn't understand the color choice at first, but then I remembered that purple is the color of advent. It amazes me that the Catholic religion still has such an impact on daily life here. Catholicism, although many are not anymore devoutly practicing, is something that, from my perspective, is heavily ingrained in the Spanish culture.

This is the Plaza Nueva... all lit up! Isn't it beautiful?

Instead of my sugary cookie and mint smells that go along with my idea of Christmas, these orange trees are bringing a lovely new scent to the city this Christmas season.
 One of the main roads, Avenida de la Constitucion. The prurple lights go all the way down. So impressive!



There is a light show type of thing at one of the nearby smaller plazas, with all kinds of color and effect changes...


Even our school is in the holiday spirit! The Centro Norteamericano:



The representations of "Belen," or Bethlehem and the nativity, are very popular here in Sevilla. Here is the one in the school...


The hospital where I intern, el Hospital de la Caridad, has a beautiful Belen that people pay to see every year. It is really intricate and truly beautiful.

The three kings, the Magi, in the Belen of the hospital. I've learned that while Santa is becoming more popular in Spain with each generation, the Spanish gift tradition is that of the "Reyes Magos"-- the three kings. Children leave their shoes out the night of January 5th, and the kings leave gifts for the good girls and boys. January 6th is a Catholic holiday-- one of the feasts, I believe. 


I love all the decorations-- they make me smile every time I pass by. They don't make me feel like Christmas, though. It's a weird feeling-- I guess it's just not what I'm used to for the holidays. The weather definitely has something to do with it-- it's always cold and often snowy for Christmas where I live. It also made me realize that the traditions I have with my family and being with the people I love are what make my holiday season what it is. As much as I will miss Sevilla, I am so glad to know that I am going home to all of my favorite and cherished traditions!



The Christmas tree in Hotel Alfonso XIII
It really is the most wonderful time of the year. 

¡Feliz Navidad a todos!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment