Friday, December 6, 2013

My typical weekday...

I realized that while I've been posting about all my adventures and travels, I haven't really shared what I do on a normal day here in Sevilla. So here's the daily routine...

I set my alarm for 7:30, and usually don't get up until 8:00. I get ready, eat corn flakes, mini-muffins, and wheat crackers for breakfast, and usually ride my Sevici bike to the center. Monday to Thursday, I have class at 9:00, "Spanish for the Health Professional," which has definitely been my favorite class here. I am very interested in the topic, which makes the early morning not so bad at all.

This is the outside of the center, located on a little center street named "Harinas." I still need to take some photos of the inside.

El "Centro Norteamericano". I love the colors of the building and the crisp white of the city. 
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, right after class, I go to my internship at the Hospital de la Caridad until lunchtime. I have really enjoyed that experience. More photos of that to come...

On the days that I don't go to my internship, I go to my favorite cafe with some friends for what they call a "descanso"-- a rest-- which is the Spanish second breakfast (I swear that's the only way they can make it to a 3:00ish lunch). Everyone and their mother is out between 10-12, eating a toast with ham and cheese, with a coffee. It's only two minutes away from school and is really neat on the inside. We've even made friends with some of the workers.

The outside of Boca a Boca-- the corner of a little street by school. 
The inside-- what a cool vibe. 
The usual for me... cafe con leche and media tostada con mantequilla y mermelada. Aka a coffee with a toast, with butter and jam. They usually always have peach jam which has grown on me. 

I go home and eat lunch with my host family and roommate. Since my host mom is from the north, she is very punctual... 2:30 everyday. I have come to realize that some of the stereotypes they have about the north and south of Spain are very true. Northerners are known to be a little more serious, hardworking, and punctual, while southerners are the laid-back, always-tardy-but-not-worried-about-it-at-all type. I've been told the weather has a lot to do with it. The eternal nice weather of the south lets the people stay out, while the less preferable weather of the north keeps people inside.

Anyway, lunch is usually a very large meal. There are usually two courses, and a fruit for dessert. There are a lot of soups and my host mom Sarah always has "picos," which are essentially little breadsticks, with every meal.

After lunch is siesta. Something I am really going to miss when I am back in the United States. A lot of stores and businesses will close from 2:00-5:00ish for lunch and siesta, then re-open for the evening. It's nice to have some downtime in the middle of the day, even if I don't actually take a nap.

Later, I either go to my culture class at the center, or tutor little kids in English. All are at 6:00 pm. I have enjoyed tutoring a lot. It is really great that I had to chance to earn a little bit of income while I was here. I have to say though, the children were a lot to handle!

What I do after that depends on the day. After class on Mondays, we go to a cookie shop behind las Setas. Sometimes I do homework. Sometimes I feed my Grey's Anatomy addiction a little and watch an episode or two. Sometimes I just walk around the beautiful city.

Dinner is at 9:30, also very punctual. Dinner is smaller, but still pretty big since snacking isn't very big here. I love talking with my host parents. That is one of the things that has most helped my Spanish.

What I do after dinner also depends on the day. I either go out with friends, do some homework, or go out with my intercambio, Maria. On Wednesdays, I like to go to Cien Montaditos-- refer to earlier blog post for more information :)

And that about wraps it up... sounds like a pretty good day, huh? Then again, it's hard to have a bad day when you're in Sevilla.


No comments:

Post a Comment