Friday, September 6, 2013

And We're Off! ... Algarve, Portugal

 
So I don't have too much time to post, but this past trip was so amazing that I had to post about it! I went to El Catedral this past Thursday as part of the intensive period of the study abroad program. The history in this city amazes me! Above is a picture I took of the tomb of Christopher Columbus-- who knew he was here?! I was so amazed when I saw this that I had to ask the guide two or three times if it was really his tomb. The guide told us that Sevilla became a very important city because of its access to the river, and consequent access to the Americas. Fun fact-- about 70% (?) of the world's gold has passed through Seville, because of its transport and distribution to the Americas. 
 
 
A beautiful view from the top of the tower of El Catedral
 

Tomorrow morning I'm going on my first trip-- the beaches of Algarve, Portugal. I feel so lucky to have the chance to go to such a beautiful place so easily. It is so strange to me that I can so quickly get to another country... can't wait to see what it's like!

No comments:

Post a Comment