Sunday, September 15, 2013

Don worry. Be hoppy.

This second week in Sevilla has made me feel so incredibly lucky. I almost feel guilty about being able to see so many sights and do so many exciting things!
 
Last weekend I went to Algarve, Portugal-- definitely the prettiest beaches I have ever seen in my life. The first day, we were on the island of Tavira. The water was crystal clear and full of life-- seeing a real live sea cucumber was probably the highlight of my trip. I also enjoyed going to Sagres, "El Fin del Mundo," which was once thought to be the end of the world y mapmakers, etc. before the times of Columbus. I never thought of Portugal as a place I wanted to visit, but I am so glad I decided to go in the end.
 
La isla de Tavira, Portugal
 
I decided this week to drop my cooking class because I felt like I had signed up for too many extras. I am excited to tutor children in English, though, especially because I love little kids! Dance class is becoming significantly less frustrating and I'm trying to take it as kind of a challenge now. And my regular intensive period classes are going well. I hope I enjoy my continuous period classes just as much-- I have a feeling I'll enjoy my Spanish for the Health Professional class, but not so sure how I'm feeling about the literature one. I'm also excited to visit the hospital in the morning, Hospital de la Caridad, where I'll be doing my "practicas" this semester. Thank goodness Marta is taking me, because I know I would get lost going by myself.
 
Today, I went to Doñana, southern Spain. We visited a popular Catholic pilgrimage site, but I definitely preferred the beach and horseback riding later on. I felt like I was in a movie scene. Crazy! My horse was named Deseo.
 
 

 
My señora's husband is away for some time, so it's just me, Ally (my roommate), and Sarah (my señora) in the house. Now that it's getting easier to talk to my señora, I am getting to know her better. She is so funny, and love to say little phrases or words in English. Yesterday when the internet was broken, for example, "Don worry. Be hoppy."
 
And that's just what I'll do for the next week. Some of the negativity from some people in the program is starting to get to me. It's hard for me to tell people how I feel sometimes, but I hope I can get better with that through this trip. Communication is key, as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment