Monday, September 2, 2013

Me han dado el mundo

It's official... I'm in Spain! I can't believe it.

As a student without much travel experience, the flight was a bit stressful. We hit a lot of turbulence-- so much that the pilot asked that all the flight attendants remain seated and "follow procedure" as we went "through this period of moderate to severe turbulence." While I was kissing the ground when we landed, I am glad that I had a friendly traveler next to me on the plane. He really helped to keep the mood light-- "Oh come on guys... it's just a little wind!"

I flew into Madrid on Friday and spent the day there with my friend, Corey. She and I spent the day exploring-- my favorite sight was definitely el Palacio Real de España. There is so much history to this country-- it is absolutely amazing.

El Palacio Real de España, The Royal Palace of Spain
I am enjoying living with my host family so far. I am living with an older couple in an apartment in Sevilla, Sarah and Pedro. They have six children that are all grown and three grandchildren. Alvaro, their grandson, is visiting tonight! I can't wait to meet him. I also have an American roommate named Ally. It's nice to have someone here who is in my shoes!

Life in Sevilla is definitely an adjustment from life in the US. One aspect of the culture that is especially different is the food and eating schedule-- I've learned quickly that we eat very late in Spain, with lunch (the biggest meal of the day) is around 2:30 PM and a smaller dinner at 9:30 PM. Breakfast is also very small here. Many people in Spain like to go out in the afternoons or evenings for "tapas," which are like appetizers or small platters as a snack. I am especially enjoying my "siesta" every day, a nap after lunch. Most stores in Spain even close for siesta because it is very hot, and reopen around 5 PM. 

I started classes today at the center. While I'm a little rusty with my Spanish, I can tell that my classes will be very interactive and help me improve my skills quickly. The professors are all very helpful and I know I will enjoy my studies here. The building itself is beautiful-- I look forward to having the opportunity to study there!

It was very hard to say goodbye my family, but staying busy at the beginning of my program helped a lot. Three months may seem like a long time, but I know it will fly by. I miss them, but can only thank them, in every meaning of the phrase, for giving me the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment