Friday, September 6, 2013

Los primeros días, 9/4/13

I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm I what they call the "honeymoon" phase of culture shock. I am feeling not only excited about the program and the things I have planned for the coming weeks and months, but physically well, too. While its hard initially to fall asleep at midnight (hence me writing this blog right now), I haven't had any problems with adjusting physically, which I know can be an issue due to the time difference. I think not sleeping after my flight and waiting until the following night to sleep really helped me beat jet-lag! It was rough, but definitely worth it.

In my spare time I've explored Sevilla a bit and seen some beautiful buildings. Below is "La Plaza de España," which is just a few minute walk from my host family's apartment, and a beautiful view on my way to and from the center every day. Yesterday, a large group of about 70 people were playing horns and drums in the plaza. When I asked my host family about it, they told me about "La Semana Santa" (Holy Week, before Easter) and that they practice for the festivals year round. Amazing! I wish I could figure out how to add a video in here so I could show the clip, but I think I have enough tech issues at the moment, as it is- ha!

La Plaza de Espana

Since classes haven't kicked in yet, we've had time to stop in shops along La Avenida de la Constitición-- I must say I love the ice cream pit stops! Speaking of, that leads me to another thing I've learned about the culture of Sevilla-- shops ("tiendas" en español) tend to be both specialized and seasonal. In other words, if you need a book, you go straight to the bookstore; if you need batteries or something for your computer, you could probably only find what you're looking for at an electronics store. I personally think it makes shopping very easy and much more interesting. I've stopped in so many different little shops for that reason. And I guess I'd better get that ice cream and gelato while I can, since ice cream shops for the most part close with the end of summer. 

El Catedral

Of course t is also strange (but really cool) that the drinking age in Spain is 18 years. I went with a few friends to a bar where we sat on a roof overlooking the river.the four of us shared a pitcher of "tinto de verano," similar to the oh so famous sangría, and named for the summer. What a view!


Since it is now officially my birthday in Spain, I can't wait to see some more neat places to celebrate with new friends--I hope my roommate feels better so that she can come and experience some of the awesome nightlife of Sevilla! (Seriously though, even the little kids are out walking around with their parents well past midnight! The US could really take a lesson or two from this whole siesta thing..) She has been really homesick and physically ill, too. I definitely need to stay positive so that I can take advantage of my precious time here. While I see that it is easy to dwell on the obstacles of the trip, I have to remember that my time is limited and that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. As a person who usually takes a long time to adjust to new places, I am taking extra care to be more outgoing than I would normally be-- I don't want to miss a thing!

¡Hasta pronto, amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment