Sunday, October 6, 2013

One month down, folks... Weekend trip to Malaga and Granada

Wow, that's scary. I've been here more than a month at this point. I never believe people when they tell me, but time really does fly. It's making me really nervous-- I feel like I still have so much to do here!

Where to even begin? I am definitely one who likes to keep busy-- lots to talk about in this post.

Last weekend, I went to Malaga and Granada with a small group of friends. To say the least, it was an adventure. The weather was less than desirable and we all weren't feeling too hot, but really now, how can you not enjoy yourself with a view like this?!

 
That's a picture of the beach in Malaga, our first city of the weekend. The day got off to a rough start. We all stayed out just a wee bit past our bedtimes the night before our 7 or so AM train. Hence our friend Sally Anne missing it. What a fiasco- entertaining at the very least. Once Sally Anne made it to Malaga, after relaxing in a café for a while (which was named "Plan B"... I really am confused by that, but anyway...) and headed to the beach. I loved the perfectly clear water and the shark/fish/? tooth that I found, despite my method of finding it, which was stepping on it.

We also went to the Picasso museum while in Malaga, also-- I didn't know until I was in Malaga that it is the city where Picasso was born. What a great surprise. Also a great surprise-- that we just so happened to be in Malaga for Tourism day, and we got a free tour. What luck!

 
 
I am always happy at the beach. That night, I stayed in a hostel for the first time. What a great experience! While they are often stereotyped as dangerous and dirty, both of the hostels we stayed in that weekend were inviting, clean, and full of other young people in similar situations and programs. The sketchiness, though there was little, was thrilling, as seen in the below photo:
 
 
The next day, we went to Granada, an absolutely beautiful city. We took a walking tour and visited La Alhambra, a city and palace built by the Muslims but later taken over by the Christians. It was so interesting to see the mix of different cultural influences on the area.
 
 
What a great trip. I am truly blessed.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment